Monday, March 9, 2009

pre-Easter Hi-Hat Cupcakes



When I saw the original recipe for these cupcakes I had to give them a try. Since I will not be in town for Easter, I told myself that I should go ahead and make them now!
This is a recipe with an exception... I used a boxed cake mix (shhhhh!). After I saw the spring funfetti mix for 99 cents, I was swept back to childhood and had to find a reason to use it. You can't go wrong with funfetti!!
I chose to make my own buttercream frosting and then dip the cupcakes into both white and semi-sweet chocolate.
Here are a couple of tips if you give this recipe a try. Let the icing set for about 30 minutes before you dip. After making the chocolate dip, let it cool completely! I got anxious after 15 minutes, went to dip and lost the icing on my first try. When the cupcakes are dipped, place them in the refrigerator to harden the chocolate (just take them out about 30 minutes before you want to eat them!)
If you want to look at the original recipe, look here: How To Eat A Cupcake
My version:
Cupcake
Spring Funfetti Mix
Buttercream Frosting
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons whipping cream

-Mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
-Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.
-Add food coloring if you want.
Chocolate Dip
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I also did a dip with white chocolate)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Put the chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl or the top of a double boiler and place it over a pot of barely simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is just melted. Scrape it into a deep cup or bowl and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio
Clicky Web Analytics