Well, I love to try new recipes and was excited to try this month's Recipes to Rival challenge. However, my husband and I were party poopers and after one taste tossed it in the garbage... The flavor was not for us. The flavor, coupled with the fact that I could not find the correct cut of beef at my little Italian market.
I was also disappointed that the picture of my flambé did not photograph very well. The picture above is pre-cream and pre-flambé. I am looking forward to next month's challenge!
For the steaks:
(4) 85g beef medallions
1 tsp Dijon mustard
freshly ground salt and pepper
For the sauce:
1 tsp Butter, clarified
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Shallots, finely chopped
50g button mushrooms, finely sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
125ml double cream
1 tbsp Chives, snipped
1. Rub the medallions of beef with the mustard, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and when hot, add the clarified butter and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Add the shallots and mushrooms, and push to the centre of the pan. Arrange the medallions around the edge. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring and tossing the mushroom mixture as you go. If you prefer your steak well done, give it an extra minute or 2.
4. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Turn the steaks over and pour in the cream and chives. Tilt the pan slightly (away from you) and pour in the brandy at the far end. Now turn up the heat to high so that the brandy ignites. Swirl the sauce around in the pan and turn off the heat.
6. Put the medallions on 4 plates, pour over the sauce and serve.
1 day ago